If there is one acceptable thing to “hoard”… it has to be hangers. Inevitably, you will be that crazy mama driving two towns over to buy Walmart’s last set of hangers at 11pm the night before drop-off. So, to avoid being “that mama,” we’ll help you start early with some free & cheap ideas for hoarding, er, gathering hangers.
Important: You should always check with your sale on hanger preference. Some love wire hangers, some love plastic, and some just want you to get your clothes to the sale!!
- At checkout – it never hurts to ask for a few extra. Word on the “street” is that Carters, Old Navy, Target or Walmart give more freely than others.
- Craigslist (Search)– just do a search for hangers!
- Post a Want Ad on Craigslist – If you don’t see any OFFERS for hangers, post a “want ad.” (always use common sense when buying / selling on Craigslist!)
- Freecycle – available in many cities (great for finding cast-off toys & goodies too!)
- Companies with Uniforms – Mechanics, some Restaurants, Banquet Halls
- Dry Cleaners – Some give freely, others are more reluctant (I personally blame the growth of consignment sales… story later). If so, asking for recycled hangers may help too!
- Thrift Stores or Goodwill – Many Goodwill locations have boxes of hangers you can either “take” or buy for super cheap
- Facebook – Sometimes all it takes is… Anyone have some wire hangers I can take off your hands?
Almost Free / Cheap / For Sale
- Your Sale Organizer – Many sale organizers will order shipments of hangers in BULK and offer them at cost to their shoppers. Shipping is VERY expensive for hangers, so going with the group will save you!
- Dry Cleaners – If your dry cleaners won’t offer FREE hangers, they may allow you to purchase hangers at cost or piggy-back on their next purchase. You’ll save big on shipping.
- Walmart – Mainstays Wire Hangers, 10pk, Black
- Dollar Store
Best Online Resources
The key to ordering hangers online is SHIPPING. Depending on the quantity and distance from the distributor, your shipping costs could be DOUBLE the hanger cost! Walmart has hangers for less than 10¢, so do the math first.
- Phenix Supply – (you’ll have to call and they will likely prefer larger orders)
- 3 Hanger Supply
- Norton Supply
The Lingo on Hangers
- Wire Hangers – Those things you HATED in your closet but now can’t get enough of… yep, those… What’s the deal? Click here
- Gauge – This refers to the weight of the hanger, #14.5 is consider standard and #13 or #10.5 are considered “heavy duty.” (lower numbers mean thicker wires)
- Caped Hangers – These are wire hangers covered in paper. The paper makes for easier pinning of the items and less sliding. Many sale organizers swear by these for presentation and item security
- Junior / Kid-Sized Hangers – Some sale owners prefer smaller sizes, check with your sale’s website for details.
2 Reviews + Historic Comments
thank you thank you thank you! this has been so helpful!
What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this website to obtain latest updates, so where can i do it please help.