More and more, we are seeing sales adopt a “wire hanger only” policy. And a few Facebook fans lately asked, what’s going on with the wire hangers?!?! So here’s the deal:
Why Does My Sale Require Wire Hangers?
1. More Items Per Rack – Slim wire hangers allow for more to fit on the rack… meaning your sale can offer more clothes in a smaller space.
2. Less Clothes on the Floor – With plastic hangers, clothing can fall off much easier. The result is clothing left on the floor – and that is sometimes clothing that just won’t sell. Yes, you do have to take a few extra steps to secure your items on the hanger….but in the long run, your item security will be better.
3. Less Product Loss – Wire hangers make it MUCH *more* difficult for items to be removed from the hanger and stuffed into a bag, under a shirt, in a pocket, etc. It’s a great theft deterrent.
4. Better Grouping & Cross Merchandising – With plastic hangers, it is sometimes challenging to secure a top, pants and accessories to a single hanger. With a wire hanger and a few safety pins, you can work some magic with a 4 piece set!
Where Can You Find Wire Hangers?
The bottom line with prepping your items with wire hangers is COLLECT NOW! Don’t wait until the weekend before consignor drop-off to find them… start collecting now!
1. Your Local Dry Cleaners – some have recycling programs, some give them away, others will sell them super cheap.
2. Craigslist – just do a search for wire hangers and see if anyone is giving them up
3. Freecycle – If you have Freecycle in your area, you can do a quick search for folks dumping their hangers.
4. Your Hubby’s Work Associates – If your hubs is in a shirt & tie kind of world, have him ask a few coworkers to share their stash. (He can explain to them what that crazy world of consignment is all about – wouldn’t you like to hear that conversation??)
5. Online – If you get desperate and just need some hangers, there are tons of options. Just do a Amazon or Google Shopping search.
Of course, there are also sales on the other side of this “debate” and they don’t allow wire hangers at all.
Did I miss anything? Post a comment if you have a tip or question!